Friday, July 16, 2010

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday everyone!


I don't want to base my success on my appearance or the number on the scale. So I need something to work for. Something to train for. So, following Laura's footsteps, I will be running a 5K race on October 9th. So I have to train for it.

Because I haven't run since high school. Specifically since 2001 when I was a sophomore in high school. Ahh...to be a that girl again. To be a 115 pound, size 3, non-smoking, athletic 16 year-old girl again. See the photo for proof that yes, at one time, I was that girl.

Ok. No more memories of when I used to be a skinny bitch. Back to how I can be one again.


Well. No personal training meeting yesterday. I called to cancel. Between burning calves and stiff shoulders, my body seriously needed the day off. So the recliner became my best friend. And I became Queen of TV Land for a day. Yeah yeah. Ok. I know. I suck. Don't judge me.

And work was crazy today. So again...no workout. But. In order to make up for being such a lazy slug, tomorrow morning will include interval endurance training and lifting.

So for anyone who would like the oh-so-interesting details of my punishment-for-being-lazy workout, here ya are:

Set One: Breath Enhancing Pilates (from Runner's World...I cited my source just so you all don't think I'm full of crap)
  1. The Hundred: 10 reps. Teaches controlled breathing, so that your inhales and exhales are balanced. Bonus: Builds strong abs!
  2. The Swan: 10 reps. Opens up the chest and deepens your lung capacity to correct shallow breathing.
  3. Standing Chest Expansion: 5 reps. Stretches the intercostal muscles (which lie between the ribs), relaxes the shoulders, engages the diaphragm and pelvic floor, and helps balance breathing between the left and right lungs.
  4. The Roll-Up: 5 reps. Loosens up and elongates the lower back, hamstrings, and calves. Also improves core strength.
  5. The Saw: 4 reps per side. Stretches the hamstrings and the quadratus lumborum muscle, which is responsible for lifting the hip as you swing forward into your stride.
  6. The One-Leg Kick: 6 reps per side. Stretches the quadriceps, opens the chest, and improves posture.

For info on how to do these exercises, check out: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-12996-0,00.html

Set Two: Complete Body Lifting

This means that I'll do 3 sets of 15-12-10 reps on gym machines for my legs, arms, back, shoulders, and chest.


Set Three: Interval Endurance Training

  1. 5-minute warmup
  2. 5-minute brisk walk followed by 2-minute easy jog
  3. repeat walk-run
  4. repeat walk-run
  5. repeat walk-run
  6. repeat walk-run
  7. 5-minute cooldown

Oh. I think I'm gonna be a sore girl tomorrow. But it'll hurt so good.

Tonight = wine night with the girls at 7:30! And tomorrow night = sushi at RA!

No comments:

Post a Comment